24 October 2008

Endorsements 2008

Sandwiches:

Tortas. Next time you're at the taco truck, don't overlook the torta, often overshadowed by its more popular cousins, the burrito and taco. For the unitiated, a torta is basically the Mexican hamburger, a round bun filled with some kind of meat topped by lettuce and tomato. Simple, but wholly satisfying when done right. Most times the meat is basically the usual taco/burrito fillings on a bun,* but one local place called Barriga Llena ("full belly") elevates it into a gut busting pleasure-bomb. Fillings include the Milanesa - basically a pork cutlet breaded and fried, house-cured chorizo, carne asada, hot dogs (unnecessary but included to complete the picture), roast pork, and combinations thereof. One of these will keep you happy for hours. Love 'em.

Banh Mi. One of these, on the other hand, can leave you hungry. Fortunately, they're hella cheap (Never pay more than $2 for one, by the way), and very good. I always buy them in multiples, and it's still cheaper than the #1 meal at McD's. My fave is the BBQ pork banh mi from Seattle Deli.

Philly Cheesesteak. The bread, the bread, the bread. I didn't understand until I actually visited Philly. It doesn't actually taste any better there, but you just don't get that same chewy texture from a Gai's roll. But now I at least know what all of those Right Coast expats are complaining about.

Hoagies: See Cheesesteak, above.

PB&J: When's the last time you had one of these? From about 1983 until Roc started eating solid food, I hadn't even considered having one, but in a fit of desperation during a particularly nasty food tantrum, I slapped one together and stole a few bites for myself. Ahhh, nostalgia.


*Some comedian did a funny bit based on that, basically how American-Mexican food is basically the same 3 ingredients in different combos...I'll have to find it on YouTube.

2 comments:

BC said...

I must rebut, Fred. The banh mi is the king of sandwiches. French bread with Vietnamese ingredients - it's a beautiful interracial marriage, dare I say the greatest legacy of the occupation. And so plentiful, at least here in Vancouver; I have no idea how Subway is still in business.

Fred Jala said...

b,
not intended to read as a "top 5" post, necessarily, just a collection of sandwich styles i enjoy. you really should try the torta though.